The estate has been occupied since at least the 12th century, with a fortified castle known as Lamothe. Wines under names like “Margou” were known in the 15th century, but it wasn’t the arrival of the Lestonnac family in the 16th century that wine production became of particular importance.
In the 1570s, Pierre de Lestonnac expanded the property and cleared many of the grain fields to make way for vines.
Classified as a 3rd Growth Grand Cru Classé in 1855. At the time of Napoleon III’s classification, Margaux was the only estate given a 20/20 rating.
View current inventory: Collector Wines
Visit the winery website: Château Margaux